Mediasite Capture app for macOS
Install Mediasite Capture
Mediasite Capture differs from the previous version of a personal capture software (Mediasite Desktop Recorder) in that it is not downloaded through My Mediasite. Instead Mediasite Capture is found as an app in the Apple Mac App Store. The primary benefit to utilizing the Mac App Store is that it will ensure you always have the most current, up to date version of the app. There will no longer be a need to manually download and install the app on your desktop or laptop.
1. Mediasite Capture can be found in the App Store by following the below link or searching the App Store for ‘Mediasite Capture’.
2. Follow the usual process to install an app on your desktop or laptop locally.
3. Mediasite Capture requires macOS Catalina (version10.15). It does not work with older versions of macOS.
Register Mediasite Capture
Once Mediasite Capture has been installed, the app needs to be registered; the registration process will follow the steps you are used to in My Mediasite with the Mediasite Desktop Recorder.
4. Access My Mediasite and select Add Media.
5. Select Already downloaded the Mediasite Desktop Recorder, but not registered? Click Here.
Mediasite Capture will launch and be ready to configure a recording. You will know that your copy is registered when you see your log-in username in the upper right corner drop-down.
Configure Mediasite Capture
The process to record with Mediasite Capture begins with choosing the recording type and inputs.
6. Choose the appropriate Recording Mode.
- Dual Video: Capture your display and camera simultaneously as two discrete videos. Or choose any combination of two cameras, two displays or other USB input devices.
- Single Video: Capture either your display or camera as a single video.
- Audio Only: Capture audio from you microphone.
7. Choose the desired display for Video 1. Set Video 2 as a camera.
- You can choose from any of the connected video sources including displays, USB camera or a built-in camera.
8. Select the desired audio source.
- You can choose from either the built-in or a USB microphone.
Once the appropriate options are selected within Mediasite Capture, the settings are persistent. The next time you open Mediasite Capture you will have your desired options already selected.
Recording with Mediasite Capture
Since the settings are persistent with Mediasite Capture there is no need to follow a wizard style walk-through to begin recording every single time. Instead, recording your display and camera can be done in just a couple clicks.
9. Enter a title for the recording.
10. Click the Record button.
Once the recording begins the app will display a count down from 3 and automatically minimize to the top menu bar. The camera LED will be on if you are recording your with your built-in camera. The Mediasite icon will be displayed in the macOS status menu (top right of the menu bar) anytime the app is recording.
Clicking the Mediasite icon in the status menu will pause the recording and restore the app.
11. Click the Mediasite icon in the status menu.
12. Click Record to resume the recording or Stop to finish the recording.
13. If prompted, Click Yes to confirm you would like to stop the recording.
Manage and Upload Recordings
Once a recording has been captured you can do some basic video management directly with Mediasite Capture. This includes reviewing, deleting, renaming and uploading.
14. Within Mediasite Capture select Presentations to see the list of recorded presentations.
15. Click Play to review the recorded presentation.
16. Once you are ready to publish the presentation click the ellipsis.
17. The dropdown menu will have several options to:
- Delete: This will only delete the local copy of the presentation. If it has already been uploaded to My Mediasite the uploaded version will remain.
- Upload: This will upload the presentation to My Mediasite.
- Show in Finder: This will open the local copy of the recording in macOS’s Finder.
- Show in My Mediasite: This will open the presentation in My Mediasite for further video management. This option will only be available once a presentation has been uploaded.